Friday 6 December 2013

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree...

Hopefully by now you are all getting in the Christmas spirit...are at least getting some spirits in you!! But between all the drinking and eating, you decide you want something different from your traditional Christmas tree, then this tutorial is definitely for you!


What you need


  • 3D Christmas Tree (This one is from hobby craft and was given to me by my AMAZING friend Tatum)
  • A shed loads of buttons (I needed about 3x300g bags - which also came from hobby craft)
  • Black spray paint
  • silver paint
  • scouring pad
  • assortment of beads
  • glue gun


Step 1

Working your way round the tree, glue on your buttons. I used a hot glue gun at it makes sure the buttons are sturdy and don't start pushing each other down.



Step 2

Take the tree outside and spray paint it black, making sure you get in between all the little buttons. Also make sure it's not windy when you do it as I learnt the hard way when the black paint came back in my face! Bring the tree back inside and leave it to dry. I put it next to the heater and it dried in no time.


Step 3

Once the tree is dry, put a very small amount of silver paint on the scourer and then dab it on some paper so that there is only a thin layer. 

Gently rub the scourer down the tree until you have silver lines over the top of the buttons and you are happy with the effect. I had to go over some a few times to get the look I wanted.




Step 4

For the tree ornaments I bought a range of beads and strung them together, using this silver embroidery thread.

Step 5

I then glued the decorations evenly round the tree and then stuck these little bows over the top of the glue so you don't see the join.



There you have it and it only took 5 steps!




I'll be back xx

1 comment:

  1. Great idea I was wondering what to do with all my spare buttons

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog

About This Blog
A blog for fun and unusual Craft tutorials This year I will be learning a new craft every month - if there is a craft you would like to learn, let me know

Search This Blog

Featured Post Via Labels

Instagram Photo Gallery